Thursday, April 1, 2010

What's the main purpose of story telling?

(Do you know where this is?)


My partner Glynnie and I have been talking a bit this week about ‘Story Telling’ – its purpose, and how sometimes it can be cathartic, a catalyst for change, perhaps a healing or learning mechanism.
As per usual, I have a whole lot of questions....
What is the main value in Story Telling?
I want to know if the role of the ‘Story Teller’ is more important in the process of sharing a story, than the role of the audience/witness to the story...
Why are we so attracted to story, in the form of book, movie, sitcom, newspaper...
For me, I think I enjoy ‘bearing witness’ to the things that intrigue and fascinate me, or the things that truly connect me to what makes me, and my version of the world ‘tick’. Documentary making is an opportunity to record story, to capture imagery and weave together vital messages, ideas, thoughts and feelings that can be kept, and viewed by others.
...Hopefully many generations ahead.
There is definitely something around memory, being able to ‘keep’, or collect stories and images of people, places and ‘things’ that are important. To be revisited by others...that’s collecting, and creating history, is it not?
Good grief...this process could take awhile.....I think I might end up with a book after all.....

2 comments:

  1. Hey Glenda, loving your work here. Story telling, now you talking about something close to my heart, I'm half way thru writing my book on storytelling, have you seen my blog at www.spokestory.com ? Lets keep talking, or at least sharing the stories, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Glenda,

    Have you read this?
    http://thestoryelement.wordpress.com/tag/purpose/

    If you know of anything that does a better job of explaining the purpose of stories I'd love to know of it.

    Patrick

    ReplyDelete