Saturday, April 3, 2010

Kororoit Creek

This is the sun setting beyond the Kororoit Creek here in Melbourne, which is a crazy yet spectacular place...just down the road from the Mobil Oil refinery, and yet it is a place filled with wildlife and the magic of nature. The water is certainly 'grubby' at times, but its tidal, and close to its outlet at this point, which means when the tide is on a fresh turn, it looks quite beautiful. And the best part is, that from the borrowed bench of a boathouse - you can watch Pelicans fishing, Ibis' flyover, Swamp Hen's fossicking for food on the far shore, and even the slightly infamous Norwegian River Rat's will pop up from the water for a peek. Once in a while a lone 'Great Egret' (like a White Heron or Stalk) will vist, and wade alongside the creek edge looking for grub.
It's a place that I have come to know as my Melbourne 'secret spot', a bit like a certain special West Coast of Auckland beach....it's not that secret, but when I am there, it feels like no other soul alive knows I am there. Something particularly interesting for me I feel, is the remote nature of the place, and yet its only 5 mins drive from some of the busiest roads in Melbourne, and 20mins to the city itself. Not something you expect here really. It isn't the Otago Peninsula or Bethalls Beach, but it provides me with some of the feeling that both of those places does....I like it. It's a fish and chip spot, a yell into the wind spot (not as good as 'Second Beach' St Clair though!), a watch the sun come up, and watch the sun go down spot.....and best of all, its still free to access.......I think I have to start collecting those places from my memory banks....the ones around the world that offer the same solice, safety, comfort. For those of you who come here (to Melbourne) remind me to show you.....well, you can ask. :o)
(Oh..by the way, this is 'One of my favourite things'...Places I love to go!)

No comments:

Post a Comment